Sean is currently the First Team Coach at Bristol Rugby Coach where he works alongside former British Lions and World Cup winning coach Andy Robinson.
Sean has coached at Elite Level for nearly 20 years – he has coached at all National age group levels including the National Sevens team before a 9 year stint at Ospreys Rugby from their inception in 2003, finishing as Head Coach in 2012. He helped the Ospreys win 5 major titles and to a three Heineken Cup Quarter Finals – including a famous win over Australia in 2006.
Before joining Bristol Sean worked as a consultant for Scarlets Rugby helping them get to the Pro 12 Play Offs in 2013.
One of Sean’s career coaching highlights came in 2009 when he coached the Wales National Team on the unbeaten tour to Canada & USA. The Scotland and Romanian National Teams have recently recruited Sean as a coaching consultant.
His passion for the game and an early playing career injury whilst playing for his beloved Aberavon RFC against South Africa in 1994, has seen him throw himself into a professional career in the sport, starting as a sports lecturer at Coleg Sir Gar, where he wrote several educational programmes including the first of it's kind 'Rugby Studies' for BTEC in 1999. His first cohort of students included none other than Adam Jones!
Sean was the first ever Director of Rugby at Hartpury College – helping to develop the initial 5 year plan for the Academy with Principal Malcolm Wharton CBE. Hartpury is now one of the Premier Rugby Institutions in the country and home to Gloucester RFC where Sean was Academy Head Coach from 2000-03.
Sean has worked as a Coach Educator for the Welsh Rugby Union and Rugby Football Union amongst others since 1996. He delivers on Coach Education programmes across the World on a range of topics and is now in high demand for specialist conferences, mentoring, coaching seminars and workshops.
- Wales U16, Students, U21 and National Sevens Coach
- First & Youngest to be awarded inaugural WRU Level 4 & 5 Coaching Awards
- Developed the first of its kind “Rugby Studies” educational programme
- First appointed Director of Rugby at Hartpury College
- Head Coach of Gloucester RFC Academy 2000-2003
- Appointed Ospreys Assistant Coach 2003, Head Coach 2008-12
- Wales National Team Attached Coach 2005 Grand Slam
- Wales National Team Assistant Coach – Summer Tour Canada & USA 2009
- Ospreys Celtic / Magners League Champions 2004/5, 2006/7, 2009/10, 2011/12
- EDF Anglo-Welsh Cup Runners Up 2006/7, Champions 2007/8
- Defeated Australia 2006/7
- Heineken Cup Quarter Finalist 2007/8, 2008/9, 2009/10
- Scarlets & Romania Consultant Coach 2013
- Appointed Bristol Rugby Head Coach June 2013